Close Ad Frame
Fuel Consumption
  • Karl Foreman
    ICG Commerce

poster avatar
    Sep 28, 2006   GMT 19:28
    As an example, the Emma Maersk, tonnage gross 170,974 bt, net tonnage 55,396 nt, deadweight 156,907 DWT (11,000 teu based on 14,000 ton /teu or 13,000 to 14,000 based on slots), capable of greater than 25.5 knots, but estimated at an average of 24 knots.

• Ramaratnam Visweswaran
    Viswa Lab Corp

poster avatar
    Oct 5, 2006   GMT 03:22
    Based on the figures given by you, we can estimate the fuel consumption to be about 300-350 MT per day for this vessel.

• Ralph Sylvestersen
    Søfartsstyrelsen

poster avatar
    Oct 5, 2006   GMT 05:12
    With regard to Emma Mærsk and its fuel consumption; the rated power output of the main engine is 80 000 kW and the specific brake fuel consumption are approximately 163 – 170 g/kWh.

Kind regards
    Ralp Sylvestersen

• Karl Foreman
    ICG Commerce

poster avatar
    Oct 5, 2006   GMT 14:51
    So based on an 80,000 KW output and consumption at 163-170 g/KWh then total consumption at full power output should be between 13.04 and 13.60 MT per hour (~312 to 327 MT/day based on 24 hr operation).

Is the consumption of 163 - 170 g/KWh an industry standard or is it stated somewhere in the specs for the Emma Mærsk engines? Is there a specific fuel type associated?
  • Ralph Sylvestersen
    Søfartsstyrelsen

poster avatar
    Oct 27, 2006   GMT 08:12
    Sorry for the late reply. The information is based on engine manufactures data, and the Fuel specification:
    Fuel oil, 730 cSt/50°C - 7200 sR1/100°F - ISO 8217, category ISO-F-RMK 55.

Kind regards
    Ralph Sylvestersen
  • Goran Jonsson

poster avatar
    Apr 19, 2007   GMT 08:26
    About the specific vessel it is possible to reduce the fuel consumption more than 20 MT per day by using 3 types of additives. Combustion improver, Cylinder oil additive and System oil additive.

It has been recorded direct savings in the order of 4 to 9%
    For a free copy of the research report from The National Technical University of Athens contact me directly.
    Goran Jonsson
    additive@otenet.gr
  • Goran Jonsson

poster avatar
    Apr 19, 2007   GMT 08:29
  • Kevin Murison
    Union Maritime Ltd

poster avatar
    Apr 11, 2008   GMT 12:30
    The above PDFs I cannot open.

Dr. Ram Vis on 5 Oct 2006 you gave estimates for the figures given for the Emma Maersk. Are you available to show the calculations of how you arrived at these values (300-350 MT per day)?

• Derrick Lam

poster avatar
    Oct 24, 2008   GMT 13:25
    Dear Dr. Vis,

I am working on a project that requires me to calculate the fuel consumption (FC) of a container ship. After some preliminary research I realised that FC is commonly known to be proportional to the cube of velocity. Do you know of any generic way to calculate the FC? Although I know that FC is calculated differently based on different situations. For example, I stumbled upon

Fuel Consumption Rate = k1*Full Displacement + k2*(Ship Speed)^3 + k3*AverageWave Height

However, is there any books or published papers that can give me a good explanation of calculating FC?

Thank you,
    Derrick
  • Karl Foreman
    ICG Commerce

poster avatar
    Sep 19, 2006   GMT 18:26
    For a 6000 TEU container ship from Hong Kong to Long Beach, understanding there are many engine configurations, what would be an estimated fuel consumption?

How is consumption generally measured (tonnes per hr; tonnes per mile; tonnes per teu-mile; etc.)?

How much would consumption vary by fuel grade? by teu capacity (2000 vs 4000 vs. 6000 vs. 8000, etc)?
  • Ramaratnam Visweswaran
    Viswa Lab Corp

poster avatar
    Sep 24, 2006   GMT 13:33
    Dear Mr. Foreman,

This calculation is a bit complicated.

If a ship has the capacity to carry larger number of containers, its cost per teu per mile comes down.

If you want to transport goods through a container from Point A to Point B, the container carriers quote on the basis of how many containers they carry on that ship, how much fuel the ship consumes and of course, the distance between the two points and the speed of the container vessel.

This is the basis for the quotation. However, often, market forces determine what is actually quoted.

To answer your specific questions:

1. I cannot estimate fuel consumtion in this situation, unless you tell me the speed of the vessel.

2. Generally, ship owners quote prices for these ships based on per teu per mile. Fuel consumtion is measured at tonnes per hour.

3. Fuel consumption will not vary much with the grade of fuel. It will vary a lot with the speed of the vessel. The larger the number of teus a vessel can carry, the consumption per teu will come down. In other words, a bigger container vessel will charge lessconsume less fuel per container, all other factors being same (and hence the charge per teu is less).

Hope this answers your questions.

Thank you.

Dr. Vis
  • Michael Newman

poster avatar
    Dec 18, 2009   GMT 05:25
    I am trying to determine fuel consumption for these two container ships

http://www.containership-info.com/vessel_9389423.html http://www.containership-info.com/vessel_8905543.html

I'm told I need to know the "FO" but I do not. The power output is listed. Their max speed is around 18 knots, so I guess I could go with 16-17 knots as an average. Can I find the fuel consumption without calling someone who knows about marine engines?

Can anyone help with this?